Turkey at last

Having gotten to the harbour with some time to spare, i was finally able to breath a little. Just a little mind you, because a 19 year-old with a French passport driving a Polish vehicle (in which he lives) does not make border crossings easy from one country to the next, let alone from one continent to another.

The main issue was this: the man on the Greek side was not sure that I would be let in on the Turkish side. Half an hour and a few phone calls later, my situation had barely improved. Eventually, the captain of the ferry proposed that I pay for my trip across and if I am not let through and there is space on his ship on the way back, he would allow me to return, free of charge. And so, having thought about the possibility that i may have to return to this island for about 0 seconds, I boarded the ferry.

I call it a ferry because it transports cars, but in reality it was no longer than a school bus and about twice as wide, a dwarf in comparison to the giants I had boarded before. On board with me were 3 other cars and a couple of motorbikes. Needless to say that the van stood out, which it kind of always does. I chatted a bit with the other passengers ( I am still amazed at how many people speak English ) and then went to sit at the prow of the boat, my legs dangling above the waves as i enjoyed the warmth of the setting sun. I was joined for a short while by one of my fellow passengers, a Turk who lived in Italy and talked until we reached the shore.

Turkey. This would be my first step onto the Asian continent. I was now nervous at the possibility that my time here would be short lived and that I would Have to turn back soon, regardless, I drove off under the curious eye of the crowd waiting for their ferry and headed to the border post. The man at the desk did not bat an eyelid and asked me the usual questions. I was then told i needed to head to another area of the harbour so that they could x-ray my car, to make sure i didn’t have any hidden cargo inside the van. This proved to be a lot longer and tedious than i thought. The reason for this was that before the cars were x-rayed, they needed to be emptied. For the average person that means removing a bag or two and a few empty water bottles. For me, that amount of stuff was tenfold. Guitar, bed, food containers, the fridge, all my clothes, all that had to be removed. I had been the first one off the boat, I was the last one to go through the x-ray machine.

This whole process having taken about an hour and a half, the sun was now completely disappearing below the horizon. I went back to the same desk, got my passport stamped and i was finally let out the doors. I was there. The trip could continue.

Nemo FaucherComment